Starting your application for exchange studies is easier than ever!
Simply follow these steps:
1. Start by clicking “Get started now!”
2. Search for the university you are from and click “This is my home institution”
3. Search for the university that you want to go to study in during your exchange and click “I want to study here”
4. Choose the type and level during your mobility
5. Choose the study period you wish to apply for by clicking on the corresponding “Apply now!” button
How to manage the status of your applications in EASY
An application has to pass several steps from the submission (by the student) till the admittance/rejection by the host institution and EASY can show you its updated status.
The different status of an application are called by EASY: “Offers and replies”.
1) How to see and react on the status of an application
Log-in in EASY, click on “Outgoing” or on “Incoming”, then on “Browse” and finally on “Offers and replies”.
Now you can see all the applications divided according to their status.
It is like a dresser with many drawers: one with the applications waiting for the nomination, one with the accepted applications, one with the rejected ones, etc.
These are the “drawers” with the different status of the applications:
- Waiting for nomination: the application was submitted but not yet nominated by the home institution.
- External was notified: the system sent an email to the home institution, in case it is external (not joining EASY) asking for the nomination of the student.
- OUT: Feedback: the application was checked by the office at the home institution.
- OUT: Sent to committee: the application was sent to the commission at the home institution to be approved.
- OUT: Rejected: the commission (see above) rejected the application.
- Nominated: the home institution approved the application and nominated the student.
- IN: Feedback: the host institution checked the application.
- IN: Sent to committee: the application was sent to the evaluation committee/teacher at the host institution to be evaluated.
- IN: Waitlisted: the host institution put the student in the waiting list.
- IN: Accepted: the host institution accepted the student.
- IN: Rejected: the host institution rejected the student.
- IN: Not considered: you can use this status when you want to ignore the application.
The system offers its users all the possible status of an application, but we do not necessarily have to use all of them; we can use the ones we need and ignore the others.
To change the status of an application and move it from a drawer to another one, you have to click on “Click to reply” (the colored button on the application).
A window opens that allows you to change the status of the application and update the student about the situation of his application.
The available status that you can change are different depending on whether the student is incoming or outgoing and depending on whether the home / host institution is internal or external.
After choosing the correct status, you have to save it clicking on “Save”. When you click on “Confirm & send out” an email is automatically sent to the student to update him about the situation of his application.
Close the window and go back to the application.
If you changed the status of the application, instead of “Click to reply” the new status of the application will appear.
If you clicked on “Save”, there will be a clock near the new status to remind you that you didn’t inform the student. If you clicked on “Confirm & resend” there will be no clock.
The system will move automatically the application into the box corresponding to the new status; if you want to move immediately the application, please click on “reload” to update the page.
2) How nominations are managed by the system
Do you remember when Erasmus students had to prepare paper applications? Each application had to be signed by the Erasmus coordinator at the home institution and had to be sent through the Erasmus office, to guarantee that the application was approved by the home institution.
An on-line application system requires different ways to guarantee the approval by the home institution. This is why the “nomination” by the home institution is necessary: it replaces the signature on the application.
- If both home and host institutions are EASY internal institutions: the home institution can change the status of the application from “Waiting for nominations” to “Nominated” (do you remember? Click on “Click to reply” and then on “Nominated”). The host institution sees that the status of the application changed into “Nominated” and starts its evaluation.
- If the home institution is external and the host institution internal: after the application is submitted, the system sends automatically an email to the home institution asking for the nomination; if the home institution clicks on “Confirm the nomination”, the status of the application changes into “Nominated” and the system moves the application into the corrisponding “drawer”.
- If the home institution is internal and the host institution is external: after the application is submitted, the system sends automatically an email to the host institution with the nomination for the student. Please note that the external host institution cannot see the application but only the nomination; the student has to apply according to the procedure requested by the host institution.
Please find below the list of Institutions who joined EASY in the academic year 2017-18
The International Relations Coordinators of AEC member institutions have been suggesting for some years that AEC could develop a common European online applications system for ERASMUS and other mobility schemes applications, in order to overcome various obstacles such as the amount of paper work and the proliferation of different online systems and procedures. In the framework of the European Funded project FULL SCORE, a task force of international relations experts (a subgroup of the AEC IRCs working group), supported by the IT company ASIMUT, selected the Estonian company Dreamapply to provide an IT solution which could meet the ambitious and unique needs of such a system at European level. With the input of the task force, the company has released the first version of the European Online Application System (EASY) in December 2016. The system has been tested during the academic year 2016-2017 by the 41 AEC members institutions which took part in the first pilot phase. During Summer 2017 a new working group of experienced EASY users has been formed in order to work with Dreamapply on improvements to shape a better system for the academic year 2017-2018. Thanks to EASY the AEC is going to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the European University Foundation in the framework of the EC funded project Erasmus Without Papers in order to follow up and influence developments in the field of the digitization of Erasmus procedures.
What are the benefits of using EASY?
Reducing paper work
Adapting to the various technical and structural requirements of AEC members institutions.
The students will be able to autonomously submit online applications (audio/video) for more than one receiving institution and (if accepted) choose and confirm their final mobility destination
The international offices will be able to easily handle the relations with their partners; verify, approve, return, forward applications; monitor the applications’ status; finalize procedures.
The teachers and faculty management will be able to receive applications, submit evaluations, send feedback to international office
Why EASY is so special – a collaborative effort
It is the first and only system of this kind being multi-national and subject-based
It follows the same procedure for all institutions
Incoming and outgoing applications handled by the same system
System developments are centrally controlled by the AEC with direct inputs from the users
EASY is connecting to the EU Erasmus Without Papers Project
the more institutions join the better the system works
users can refer to fellow IRCs in the EASY working group for questions and help
What the Student can do with EASY
• Apply for exchange online
• Fill in application form (including study plan)
• Upload documents and media files
• Edit own data
• Confirm final decision
What the Coordinators can do with EASY
Manage ERASMUS SMS (Student Mobility for Study), Nordplus and other incoming and outgoing applications
• manage relations with partner institutions
• manage the pre-selection procedure (optional)
• nominate students to apply for exchange
• share applications with media files with teaching committee
• send out acceptance letters with customizable templates and attachments
• generate exportable tables of applications
Highlighs of the system
•“controlled autonomy” of the student
• automatic emails
• catchy graphic design – user friendly
• email notifications from the system to the IRCs
• automatic nominations email to external institutions
• automatic confirmation of nominations from external institutions
• export of application data in Excel
a unique online tool to fill in the Learning Agreement, which is pre-filled with data from the study plan, is editable by both coordinators and students, who can put their electronic signature, save and print the documents of parts of it
New EASY Working Group 2017-2018
Hanneleen Pihlak – Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre, Tallinn, Estonia
Lucia Di Cecca – Conservatorio di Musica L. Refice in Frosinone, Italy
Jose Luis Fernandez – Conservatorio Superior de Musica de Vigo, Spain
Anna Stina Sinisalo – Sibelius Academy Helsinki, Finland
Salvatore Gioveni – Conservatoire Royale de Bruxelles, Belgium
Sara Primiterra – AEC Office
do you have questions or comments to the working group? please mail Sara at email@example.com
A Brief History of EASY